Today, Labour MP for Plymouth Luke Pollard MP will launch the second issue of his ‘Plymouth White Papers’ on the city’s marine environment at the National Marine Aquarium.
The Plymouth White Papers are an initiative by Luke Pollard MP. They are a collection of essays by men and women from Plymouth’s business, science, politics, education, activist and culture sectors.
The White Papers are designed to be relentlessly pro-Plymouth, setting out a range of bold views, to challenge, provoke, and inspire. The first issue focussed on ambition for Plymouth and was published last year. The second issue is now also available on the Plymouth MP’s website.
10 top takeaways from the White Papers
- A National Marine Park is Plymouth’s chance to show the world how world class our research and engineering is says Luke Pollard MP
- Pennon’s Chief Executive Chris Loughlin explains how Plymouth’s water went from the dirtiest to the cleanest in Europe.
- How we can create a Marine Park that works for locals and tourists alike from Amanda Lumley Chief Exec of Destination Plymouth.
- Council Cabinet Member Cllr Sue Dann on how a Marine Park will connect children in Plymouth to our ocean who have never seen the sea.
- Plymouth Youth MP Sam Cade on why young people hold the key to save our oceans.
- Nicola Bridge at the Aquarium tells us why it’s OK for Plymothians to have affairs of the sea.
- Blue Marine Foundation Chief and Plymouth’s Prof Attrill set out how a marine park could bring millions into our economy.
- We are losing marine species at an alarming rate but what will it take to make more people act? – asks local marine social scientist and city Councillor Pam Buchan.
- Fjordr Director Dr. Firth on why what happened to Plymouth 6,000 years ago matters now.
- Plymouth Beach Clean give us five tips for next time you visit the beach to help the ocean.
Luke Pollard MP said:
“We all know our oceans are in crisis. From plastic pollution to warming seas, it’s never been more pressing to take action to protect our marine environment. Plymouth is Britain’s Ocean City. We are blessed with beautiful surroundings and a rich maritime history. The White Papers set out a bold vision for how we should continue to care for Plymouth’s – and the country’s – marine environment.”
“Now more than ever, the public is aware of the immediate threat facing our marine environment. There is also a growing demand for innovative solutions to the global problem of climate change. Plymouth is at the forefront of the marine debate. This selection of essays demonstrates how key individuals in Plymouth are taking action and steering the conversation.”
Where can I find the Plymouth White Papers?
The document, is available in full on Luke’s website, www.LukePollard.org. Luke has been sharing a few sneak previews building up to the launch.
The launch of the White Papers will be held at the National Marine Aquarium on Thursday 4 April at 6pm.