Luke Pollard MP Member of Parliament for Plymouth Sutton and Devonport
Luke Pollard, the Member of Parliament for Plymouth Sutton and Devonport, has been looking to raise awareness of Kawasaki disease.
Kawasaki Disease is the most common cause of acquired heart disease in children in the UK but it is little known. Many parents and doctors are unaware of the disease and how serious it can be. Societi’s aim, with the help of the BHF, is to make sure children are diagnosed as early as possible to prevent life-long heart damage.
- feeling unwell
- fever (high temperature) over 38°C for five days or longer
- swollen lymph nodes (glands in the neck)
- rash (especially on the chest)
- palms of the hands and soles of the feet turn bright red, become puffy and the skin can peel
- bloodshot eyes
- redness on the inside of the lips and tongue and inside the mouth.
The parents of Plymouth-born Alexander Parsons, who sadly died of Kawasaki disease recently, are looking to raise money Societi, the UK Kawasaki Disease charity. They also want to raise money for bereavement support, any additional funeral costs and a memorial for Alex. There’s more information about this on their fundraising page below:
You can find more information and advice about Kawasaki Disease here: