Luke today held a Zoom meeting with Plymouth students to hear more about student accommodation in the city, much of which is in a poor state.
The discussion covered:
- The need to see material improvements in the condition of many student homes.
- The poor insulation of many student properties, and the need to fix this to reduce noise, keep down bills and boost carbon-efficiency.
- Concerns about student safety and lighting – something Luke is campaigning on alongside local councillors.
- How some student landlords are taking students for granted. It seems that some are not following the conditions of their contract, such as giving 24 hours’ notice for visits to the property.
- Problems with a lack of storage and/or provision of bins. This can lead to seagulls opening bags and spreading rubbish along streets.
“There are some really good landlords in Plymouth and some good quality, affordable homes for students. But sadly, there are also too many unacceptable cases that need addressing”.
Luke has already raised these issues with student housing companies in Plymouth, and he will now be writing to the government to press for proper action.
If you have a concern about student housing in Plymouth, don’t hesitate to get in touch with Luke and his team. You can find contact details here: Contact Luke – Luke Pollard MP