Luke Pollard MP Member of Parliament for Plymouth Sutton and Devonport
Luke Pollard MP has commented on this morning’s announcement from the Defence Secretary that all the Type 26 Frigates will be base ported in Devonport.
This is a big win for the Plymouth MP Luke Pollard who first launched this campaign in December 2017. Working in Parliament, Luke Pollard MP has met Ministers, written opinion articles in national media and led a number of debates making the case for Devonport to base port the new Type 26 Frigates.
Luke Pollard MP said:
“Well done Team Plymouth. Since launching the campaign in December last year we have had trade unions, MPs, the city council under both parties and the public all come together to back Devonport as the base for the new frigates.
As Devonport’s MP this is a good news day for our city, the naval base and the Dockyard. We now need clarity on the future of the Royal Marines in the city after Ministers decided to close Stonehouse Barracks. We also need the MOD to understand that the new Fleet Auxiliary Ships should be built in British shipyards. We also need a long term plan to recycle the 13 retired submarines in Devonport, Today is another victory for Team Plymouth. When we all pull together we are unbeatable.”
What has Luke done on this campaign?
- July 2017 – Luke called for more frigates in his maiden speech and raised concerns about number and weaponry of new frigates.
- August 2017 – Luke wrote to the Defence Secretary asking for one of the new Type 26 frigates to be named after our city HMS Plymouth. This is a campaign Luke supported Oliver Coleville in.
- September 2017 – Government announced its National Shipbuilding Strategy.
- November 2017 – After months of refusing to rule out cuts to Devonport’s amphibious capabilities and after news HMS Ocean would be sold off, it was announced the Type 23 Frigate would be based in Devonport.
- December 2017 – Luke Pollard launched the campaign to have not just a few extra Type 23s based in Devonport, but to have all the new Type 26 Frigates and Type 31s. Herald launch Fly the Flag campaign for Devonport.
- January 2018 – Luke led a debate on the Government’s National Shipbuilding Strategy in Westminster and made the case to the Defence Minister about why Devonport is a world class naval base to base the Type 26s.
- May 2018 – Labour front bench back Luke Pollard MP’s campaign and state a future Labour Government would base port all the new Type 26 Frigates in Devonport.
- June 2018 – Luke led second debate titled ‘the future basing arrangements of the Type 26 Frigates’ making the case again to Ministers.
- October 2018 – Plymouth celebrate as HMS Albion, HMS Bulwark are saved from Conservative defence cuts. Defence Secretary also announces all Type 26 Frigates will be base ported in Devonport.
When has Luke raised this issue in Parliament?
- Luke has mentioned the word Frigate over 20 times in parliament during debates and question times.
- Luke has asked 14 written questions on Frigates since he has been elected https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-questions-answers/?page=1&max=20&questiontype=AllQuestions&house=commons%2clords&member=4682&keywords=frigates
- Luke led second debate titled ‘the future basing arrangements of the Type 26 Frigates’ making the case again to Ministers.